Once you are certified, start on your new career and look for a job, as a working dive professional you will almost always be required to own your own equipment.
Basic Dive Equipment
- Fins, mask, snorkel
- Buoyancy control device with low pressure inflater
- Regulator with alternate air source and submersible pressure gauge
- Depth gauge
- Slate and dive table (you get with DM and OW materials)
- Weight belt
Additional Dive Equipment
- Timing device / dive computer
- Knife/diver’s tool
- Two surface signaling devices: one audible (whistle, air horn, etc.) one visual (inflatable surface tube, flare, signal mirror, etc.)
- Torch / Flashlight
- Pocket mask (required for IDC Candidates)
Weights and tanks are usually provided by your dive shop.
You can rent the basic equipment for the duration of your course. For some courses you will be required to have some or all of the Additional Items - these are not available for rent.
An optional extra is to buy your own set of equipment. We have a standard package that is complete with everything you will need to work as a dive professional. You will get all the Basics and the Additional Items. This package is priced at over a 20% discount of RRP, especially for our interns.
The majority of equipment in our intern base package is name brand equipment made by Cressi Sub of Italy with a Suunto computer.
Cressi-sub is regarded as the world's largest primary manufacturer of molded diving products, specializing in high quality equipment for the serious diver. Manufacturing these products from scratch ensures the highest quality and best designs. More about Cressi.
Upgrading to better Equipment or Downgrading to Budget Dive Equipment
The components of your basic package are of high quality and are a great basic entry level diving kit. They should last you a long time in your new diving career. However there are many other options available and a wealth of dive gear to choose from. If you wish to upgrade you can do so. If you wish to save money but want your own kit, there are some budget options available for equipment including ex-rental gear. Please contact us for more information.
BCD: Aqualung Wave
If you're looking for a durable, strong and almost bulletproof BCD jacket than the Aqulaung Wave is what you are looking for. It's been a staple at TSD for nearly 20 years, and there is a reason it's still going strong in its current version.
The new Wave is even more rugged because it’s now constructed with Aqua Lung’s advanced fade-resistant ResisteK™ material for improved durability. The Wave is a robust, entry level, wrap-around jacket style BC that is rugged, sharp and ready for every adventure. The Wave is now available in 8 sizes and one color combination: black / charcoal / orange.
Regulator: Apeks AT20
This high-performance regulator boasts an balanced first stage coupled with a pneumatically balanced second stage.
The smooth, quiet breath is sure to enhance your diving enjoyment.
Designed for water temps above 50°F / 10°C
The Comfo-bite™ mouthpiece, with its patented bridge virtually eliminates jaw-fatigue
Compatible with EAN40 out of the box.
- The first stage is a balanced diaphragm type that offers consistent performance from start of dive until end of dive, regardless of depth.
- 1 HP port and 4 MP ports are available
- Available in yoke only
- Pneumatically-balanced second stage results in smooth, easy breathing
- The large purge button on the AT20 is easy to operate even with thick gloves.
- The integrated venturi control provides a performance boost at depth while preventing unwanted freeflow at the surface.
- An extremely efficient exhaust valve improves the breathing performance of the regulator
- The Comfo-bite™ mouthpiece virtually eliminates jaw-fatigue
- Offers a compact, integrated exhaust tee
Comes with Apeks Octopus and Apeks gauge
Dive Computer: Suunto Zoop
Whether diving in familiar waters or exploring unknown oceans, safety is essential. Suunto Zoop is packed with solutions enabling safe and responsible decisions underwater.
Suuntos are the dive computer of choice for instructors all around the world. The is a great entry level model and is an excellent choice for a new Divemaster or Instructor. Upgrades are available to any other Suunto models.
- Air and Nitrox modes
- Extensive memory functions
- Suunto RGBM model
- Audible alarm
- Phosphorescent display
- Easy and reliable push-buttons
- User-replaceable battery
- Ability to add PC interface
Wetsuit: Cressi Lui/Lei 2.5mm
This wetsuit is for diving in warm seas and for snorkeling. It is made with double lined neoprene (2.5 mm thick). It has a waterproof zip for ease of wearing/taking off its wrist, ankle and neck seals are watertight (not waterproof). Lui for males, Lei for females, each is shaped for a better fit.
Fins: Cressi Frog & 5mm booties
A classic fin in the extensive range of Cressi fins, the Frog has been one of the world’s best selling fins for years. The unique combination of materials results in a powerful and comfortable fin.
This fin comes with adjustable straps and you wear them with booties. They are much better suited to serious divers than full foot fins. Comes in Blue or Black.
We also may offer the popular Mares X3s.
Your booties are by Cressi. They are hard wearing and protect your feet from rubbing of the fin straps on your heels.
Mask and Snorkel
Mask: Medusa, Onda or Perla
Snorkel: Gringo or Aropec
There are usually other masks and snorkels to choose from on site.
Your weight belt buckle is made of stainless steel which is much more effective than plastic buckles. Your weight belt will be 55 inches long which is standard size, but they come in longer lengths if you have larger than average waist size. We do not provide weights as they are heavy to carry when you leave and in most place you will just use the weights provided by the dive shop.
- Knife - stainless steel BCD knife
- Slate - flat slate with pencil
- Surface Marker Buoy brand- excellent quality of SMB